Since 2010, Real Food for Kids has worked to prevent childhood obesity and hunger by increasing access to healthy food and nutrition education for every child in our region.
We accomplish this by:
- Uniting parents, students, school leaders, and other community members to identify and overcome barriers to healthier foods in schools.
- Increasing students’ exposure to and acceptance of healthy foods, particularly fresh vegetables, so that they will be more likely to consume these items when they are offered in school cafeterias.
- Offering celebrated programming from preschool through high school, including our Pre-K Fresh Food Explorers program, our annual Food Day celebration, and the Real Food for Kids Culinary Challenge.
- Offering free, nourishing grab-and-go meals to children and their families in response to school closures and job losses caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
And our approach gets results.
- We provided over 10,000 meals in the first month following the closure of local schools due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Our advocacy resulted in the installation of “Real Food for Kids” salad bars in Fairfax County elementary schools, reaching nearly 100,000 students.
- We give students a voice by working with school districts to offer the Real Food for Kids Culinary Challenge winning recipe in cafeterias regionwide.
- Children who participate in our nutrition education programs demonstrate a heightened understanding of the importance of healthy diets to stay strong and smart.
Our work is more critical now than ever. Hunger and obesity are interrelated challenges for too many children who are at heightened risk of malnutrition, type 2 diabetes, heart disease and obesity-related cancers. Expanding access to nutritious, whole, high-quality foods can prevent hunger and obesity without triggering unintended health consequences down the road.
Your support is critical to our success. With you as a partner, we will continue to increase access to healthy food and help every child learn the healthy habits they need to meet their full potential.
Make your tax-deductible donation online or send a check to:
Real Food for Kids
6166 Hardy Drive
McLean, VA 22101